Re: band director needs help

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on April 04, 2003 at 15:48:39:

In Reply to: band director needs help posted by Ari Contzius on April 04, 2003 at 13:26:27:

Elementary: Weril. These horns are more than adequate for smaller kids, and are capable of a surprisingly big sound for their size. Decent quality and you can't beat the price. That's an issue, because these kids are going to beat the crap out of 'em whether they mean to or not.

Middle: Conn 5j. Good medium-sized horn, reasonable price. Not too difficult to fill up for those smaller MS kids that haven't developed much of a lung capaciity yet. This horn could also serve the smaller high schoolers well.

High: King 2341. Not the cheapest, but the good ones have a sound that can't be beat. I've heard that there is some inconsistency from horn to horn, but I've not played a large enough number of them to make that determination. The three that I've played were all earth-movers in all registers. The only reason I chose my Conn 56j over the King is that I didn't want to switch back to BBb fingerings. The sound quality was that close. It's a very nimble horn for it's size, and your high school kids will love the power you can put behind them without breaking the sound.

There you have my opinion. That and $1.29 gets you a cup at Starbucks.

SD

Follow Ups: