Re: Dent eraser

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on April 04, 2003 at 11:28:26:

In Reply to: Dent eraser posted by Tony Clements on April 04, 2003 at 01:12:23:

I've used one on several instruments with mixed success. On my York Master, it worked extremely well. On my Yamaha, it left small ripples, and still couldn't completely raise the small dent I was working. Dave Fedderly worked over my Holton with one, and did a lot of good but you can see evidence of where it was used in every case. On my Conn 20J, it worked pretty well but I had made a couple of ridges that I then had to tap back down.

It works well on small dents that are not creased, as long as the brass isn't too work-hardened and springy or too thick. Large dents are hard to raise, though, because the dent ball rides around it instead of over it. Bow guards usually add too much strength, and often are only soldered around their edges making a smooth exterior impossible wihtout removing the guard. The ridges are easier to avoid in thin brass if you use a dent barrel instead of the balls that come with it.

I would never use it where I can reach the area with a standard dent rod and barrel, but it's a good emergency tool for those dents that aren't worth disassembling the instrument to repair.

Rick "who is glad he could borrow one" Denney

Follow Ups: