Re: Meinl Weston CC Rotaries

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by AW on April 02, 2003 at 10:56:29:

In Reply to: Meinl Weston CC Rotaries posted by SHS Tubamaster on April 01, 2003 at 20:57:10:

I own a MW32 and love it. In fact, I bought it because I fell in love with it when I tried it. Yes, it has taken some learning, and that learning is still going on. It is hard for me to distinguish my general learning with learning that particular instrument. In general, it gives me a lot of assistance in getting the sound I want. It is also very nimble (for a tuba). One thing I had done was have the first valve slide lapped and the first valve vented. This is the only slide I move while playing; there is no need to move the others. I can play the horn in tune without first valve slide pulling, but loud or sustained notes sound better when the resonance is tweaked on some notes. I am using a Conn Helleberg mouthpiece.

One thing to watch out for is the higher pitch standards in Europe. To play in tune at A=440, you will have to have the optional longer main tuning slide. Some USA dealers routinely have them so equipped, but it pays to inquire.

I have been told that the newer model MW32 (which I have) is better than the older ones, but I have no personal experience with the older ones.

I have played this MW32 in large bands, and situations as small as a tuba and acoustic guitar duet, and have been happy with the way it can fit with any playing situation. The instrument is capable of a HUGE sound, and can play quietly, down to the point of inaudible to those more than ten feet away.

Allen Walker

Follow Ups: