Re: Re: Meinl Weston CC Rotaries

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on April 02, 2003 at 09:27:21:

In Reply to: Re: Meinl Weston CC Rotaries posted by Wes McKain on April 02, 2003 at 00:39:49:

You've described what happens when you solidify your technique on one instrument and develop all kinds of habits to get it to work....and then change to something that plays differently. The immediate reaction is that the new instrument has something wrong with it, when actually it's your technique that is kind of rigid. Which I think you have realized already.....I got my wonderful practically-unplayed French horn as a 3rd owner because the two owners previous to me weren't able to get used to it. They had ingrained technique for "standard factory horns" and couldn't make the switch to this fine custom horn. It took me a full year to adjust but it was worth it. This horn is so easy to play and will do anything asked of it. You're lucky your teacher was the one to pick this tuba out for you, because otherwise you might have spent the rest of your life on the 641, and not learned the flexibility to play different instruments. Just the fact that you played everything sharp is evidence that you had learned to force the tone out. The new tuba is making you play in a more relaxed way.
MA

Follow Ups: