Re: Re: Re: Re: Filled University Positions?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike Forbes on May 03, 2002 at 07:31:49:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Filled University Positions? posted by Wondering? on May 03, 2002 at 06:08:18:

Hey everyone,

Oakland university was founded in the late 1950's by a wealthy Michigan landowner who donated her wealth to the creation of "Michigan State University-Rochester." Some how or another, the name was eventually changed to "Oakland University." It sits on the outskirts of Detroit in a town called Rochester and is about an hour from Flint, MI.

The school has just under 20,000 students, most of whom are commuters. The school of music, art, and dance is a strongly developing force at the university and has serious potential for growth--something quite tough being in such close relation to U of M, Wayne State, Central & Eastern Michigan! (LOT'S OF MUSIC SCHOOLS IN MI!)

Nonetheless, the position there is really quite nice as you pretty much can carve out what it is that you'd like to teach (beyond applied tuba & euphonium). Your duties also would include the development and leadership of the NEW PEP Band--a very important position as the women's basketball team there just went into division 1 of NCAA.

I know all of this because I, too, was a finalist and eventually was offered the position. I had to regretfully turn it down in order to take my other offer at Illinois State University.

Best of luck to Ken or anyone else that may be interested in pursuing Oakland.

Mike

Follow Ups: