Re: teaching middle schoolers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on May 01, 2002 at 23:20:25:

In Reply to: teaching middle schoolers posted by Grissom Tuba on April 29, 2002 at 19:39:35:

In my experience with younger students they grasp concepts much easier if the have a frame of reference with something they’re familiar with because playing a musical instrument is quite an abstract concept. I recommend using analogizes. If you hear a good analogy about playing a brass instrument remember it, write them down if you have to. One of the most effective I’ve used (using or stealing what’s the difference) works well for explaining the benefits of buzzing, it goes like this: Playing a brass instrument is like throwing darts except with a funnel over the bulls eye, you can hit the funnel anywhere and it brings it to the middle of the board, the same as your tuba centers your sound to the pitch you want even if your not buzzing right down the middle it lets you cheat, using the mouthpiece alone is like taking the funnel away, you have to hit the bulls eye right on target to hit the pitch you want.

Wayne “I felt like sharing” Summers

Follow Ups: