Re: Re: York Eb tuba For Sale

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on April 29, 2002 at 18:01:12:

In Reply to: Re: York Eb tuba For Sale posted by Too High! on April 29, 2002 at 16:20:17:

That is not necessarily true. By my observation, ebay does not reward the seller for an instrument in excellent condition if it doesn't look new. For example, an $800 horn on ebay would likely also be an $800 horn even if it had a recent valve job.

But the real reason for my disputation is this: Ebay finds the highest bidder on the day the bid closes. If you have something that may only appeal to a few buyers, then you may need to spend some time letting the buyer find the instrument. There may be only a few people who want such an instrument who are willing to pay for one in really good shape. If those people don't happen to be watching ebay, you'll miss them and get people not willing to make such an investment.

An auction is a snapshot of the market. But any snapshot might look a bit better by waiting for the best light. Were I in the seller's shoes, I'd look for just the right buyer before assuming that the market has said all it has to say.

Rick "who thinks the variability of ebay prices demonstrate this point" Denney

Follow Ups: