Re: Re: Re: Re: Holton 6/4 in my living room..what to do

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony E on April 28, 2002 at 15:21:06:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Holton 6/4 in my living room..what to do posted by js on April 28, 2002 at 12:07:08:

Joe,

A couple more hours with the tuner...

Never would have guessed this...the best match for intonation so far is my Yamaha Canadian Brass mouthpiece (a former paperweight). The heavy, wide rim mouthpieces are completely out the window.

The main tuning slide is all the way in...a compromise. So set, BBb below and in the staff slot sharp, but can be lipped down. BBb above the staff slots flat, but can be lipped up (and I mean barely)

Starting from there, I can best describe intonation as a battle between where it "wants" to go, and where it "will" go. Watching the meter, I can play whole notes from F below staff to F above staff and hit dead center on every note by count 3. D in staff must be played 1&2. C above staff must be played 4. As for F below staff...balls on with 1&3 or 4, unless I miss...and then 3 or 4 lights come on like a strobe and the meter looks like a pendulum in over drive! And baby, is it easy to miss. A totally new experience...I'd almost say there is no "slot" for that note! But, no doubt, there's a fantastic F there for the taking.

Conclussions? No, this horn does not "slot" in tune on every note. However, I'm confident that every note CAN be played in tune...I'm just not sure I'll ever be that good. It would be quite a learning curve. Something to think about.

So, is it worth $5,000?

Tony E

Follow Ups: