Re: Playing outdoors to improve tone quality

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom on April 28, 2002 at 09:43:50:

In Reply to: Playing outdoors to improve tone quality posted by Joey Moulton on April 27, 2002 at 17:01:50:

Joey,

I think everyone needs to look at this from another perspective.

Will drum corps give you a bigger sound? Maybe, maybe not. Many excellent musiciancs have drum corps experience, and many do not. It is hard to argue with that amount of face time. Unless you go out and injure yourself, you are bound to be better at the end of the summer than at the beginning. On the other side, taking lessons all summer is bound to help your playing as well. It seems like you are in a win-win situation!

That being said, I would suggest you do drum corps ONLY because you want to do drum corps, not for something your teacher has been telling you. Practice in your back yard if you need to practice outside. I don't know how young you are, but your future will probably not hinge on one summer's worth of drum corps. If drum corps is something you would ENJOY, then go for it. Don't try to make it into something that it is not, but then don't diminish the other potential benfits that drum corps offer.

In the end, have a FUN summer. That's what they are for, right?

Tom Bratten

Follow Ups: