Re: Dixieland Band?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave on April 27, 2002 at 22:08:40:

In Reply to: Dixieland Band? posted by Chris Cole on April 27, 2002 at 16:32:53:

I started playing in a Dixieland group about ten years ago using a BBb Olds upright tuba. I found that with this horn, in an outdoor setting, I felt like I was blowing my guts out and the sound was getting nowhere. About five years ago, I starting using an Olds BBb sousaphone and this worked alot better for me, giving me a bigger sound and being more directional. Plus, the group liked it better. Within the last year, I started using a Conn BBb 4 valve helicon. This horn plays and sounds about the best of any of my horns and gives the group an authentic Dixieland look. (The group really likes this one!) Recently I acquired a small Wunderlich BBb helicon, which plays well and that I am introducing to the group. I will probably alternate between the two helicons to perserve the Dixieland look. As you will have noticed, three of the four horns are forward facing and are necessary to get the sound out in the group. Sometimes people will say that the tuba is not a part the front row and is only a rythmn instrument in this setting. I truly believe that a tuba is a very necessary part of any Dixieland group! It gives it the foundation it needs.

Follow Ups: