Re: Re: Re: Re: York Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on April 27, 2002 at 09:14:50:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: York Tubas posted by Rick Denney on April 24, 2002 at 18:33:34:

In addition to the pendulum swinging, it swings quickly. By the time I was in college, in the late 70's/early 80's, the horn to have was anything like the Alexander CC. The 4/4 5 valve CC was the most versatile horn you could find and it was sought by everyone who wasn't trying to find a 6/4 piston BBb for Bob Rusk to cut. It is the same choice I was faced with in 1979: keep my York Master BBb (a sister horn to Rick Denney's) and have it cut to CC by Rusk, or sell the York and buy the wonderful Rudy 4/4 CC that I found for sale locally. I really agonized over that situation because even back then the Yorkbrunner was known, all the pros were putting their orders in for them pre-production, and there was this huge schism developing between those who played the 4/4 CC (with the resultant sound that horn produces) and those who were following Jacobs' lead and going for the larger piston instruments.

Ironically, my impression was that by the early 80's, the Miraphone tubas were not highly regarded by the serious players because they didn't make enough sound in a large ensemble. When you pointed out what Roger Bobo was doing with his, mostly you got the explanation that it was Roger and not the horn. Everyone knew that the Miraphone was a superior solo horn but after both Roger Bobo and Steve Seward, both really great solo players, had made unsuccessful attempts at solo careers, it was obvious that playing in an ensemble was really the only viable means of making a living playing tuba. Most of my contemporaries felt that the Miraphone just didn't have enough sound for that role.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: