Re: Re: guess everyone's seen the ol BSO pic on

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on April 25, 2002 at 12:10:43:

In Reply to: Re: guess everyone's seen the ol BSO pic on posted by Ryan Scott on April 24, 2002 at 21:36:25:

This is an interesting picture, and shows a lot of similarity to the Kruspe "double" tuba on ebay at the moment.

It looks to me like what (in deference to Klaus) I will call a serial double, where two sets of valves are provided, with a "switch" valve in the middle that merely adds tubing to the open bugle. The contrabass (it looks like Bb to me) valves are on the right hand, and the bass valves (looking like F) are on the left hand.

Thinking about the fingerings that would be provided, I don't much like the possibilities. The Bb fingerings overlap the F fingerings in the places where both would be out of tune (like on C and B below the staff), though there would be many possibilities for strange combinations unique to the instrument. The addition of a fourth valve on the F side to play an in-tune C would be nice, and the switch valve could be operated by the thumb of the left hand. An 8-valve tuba, anyone?

Rick "thinking the tuba's outer branches in the picture look more like a contrabass than a bass" Denney

Follow Ups: