Re: Vaughan Williams Fourth by DSO

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Being There on April 23, 2002 at 18:17:41:

In Reply to: Vaughan Williams Fourth by DSO posted by Rick Denney on April 22, 2002 at 15:32:35:

Have you ever driven north on Interstate 95 (New Jersey Turnpike)through NJ to NYC? After you pass through Elizabeth and before you get to the George Washington Bridge there is a stretch of interstate where there are no rules. It doesn't matter what lane you are in and there is really no speed limit. Imagine doing this in the rain in bumper to bumper traffic at 70 MPH. This is what it is like to play the third movement of the Vaughn Williams 4th Symphony. This piece has more vituostic passages in than any other piece I have ever played. I had to use many alternate fingerings, lots of multiple tongue and a many passages where I had to circular breathe. There were some places where my valves wouldn't rebound fast enough! We were all "completely baked" at the end of each concert.

...too bad none of my students went to the concerts. Guess they will have to go down to hear the Houston Symphony play it next season.

Matt "I'm Glad It's Over" Good

Follow Ups: