Looking for a bass tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott Norberg on April 22, 2002 at 14:22:33:

I've noticed that I play my CC tuba less and less now that I have access to a Yamaha 822F. My CC (a Yamaha 661) has a great sound, but it's a bit too much most of the time. And then last week I brought an 822F to orchestra rehearsal and found that I could easily get enough sound out of the F. So I figure that as long as I can get enough sound out of a smaller horn I should get that for my "one and only" for greater flexibility in solos, quintets, etc. The problem is that I hate the sound of the 822. It's extremely bland and not nearly as warm as my CC. So I'm looking for a horn with the size and lightness of sound of the 822 with the tone and warmth of my CC. I've had good experiences with the Meinl-Weston 45SLP, but I'm wondering what else is out there. I like the Rudy Meinl sound, but I'm afraid that any new horn would be a bit out of my price range, and I haven't heard many good things about the intonation of older Rudy's. I'm interested in Eb's as well (the Willson is a bit out of my price range), particularily in the Gronitz. I'm not interested in compensating horns. I just don't like the 3+1 set-up and I don't like the sound of the 983. I'd appreciate any suggestions anybody has.

Thanks,
Scott

Follow Ups: