Barnum-A TRUE Story

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on April 21, 2002 at 14:02:37:

Reading the posting about the musical "Barnum" has dredged up a great, and TRUE story, about the tuba solo, from my past. Here goes:

In 1982, I was in the Disneyworld All-American College Band. It was also the "Tencentennial Birthday Salute To Disney World" (only the corporate clones could come up with a name that st...well, let's just say, interesting). Everyday at noon there was a big production at Cinderella's Castle. About halfway through, the mighty, and departed, Joe Duweese would take center satge and proceed to play the 30 bar solo from the opening to the 2nd Act. Disney had a terrible habit of using "sweetening" in those days, a process where they would play the soundtrack over the park system while the band played. Joe would have none of this. He played the solo loud enough to be heard for a good 1/4 mile. The sound engineers would turn up the volume and Joe would play louder until one day there appeared from the sound booth at the end of Main Street a white flag!!! The sound guys turned down the sound enough so Joe sounded like Jake playing Bruckner 7. I remember running from the tunnel everyday to see Joe do his thing. Chalk one up to the good guys. Later, I asked Joe how he kept doing this day after day for a week and he said "It is a matter of pride, and a certain amount of stupidity". Mind you, joe had to be all of 5'5" and a 120 lbs. soaking wet and played on a 20X tuba strapped to him. Kudos also go to the late Lee Richardson and Jim Morton for continuing the fight when Joe was on a day off. Absolutley true. Have Peace.

Chuck

Follow Ups: