Re: Barnum

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Mordhorst on April 20, 2002 at 10:00:36:

In Reply to: Barnum posted by Tim on April 20, 2002 at 08:01:03:

I did Barnum last year. It is a great musical. Basically it is the life of Phinneas (sp?) Taylor Barnum (from the barnum and bailey circus).

The tuba part is a lot of fun. Thank your musical director for choosing that musical. The tuba part not simply a filler, or just a bass line. In the one song, "Bigger isn't Better" -- The tuba plays the melody of a "Jumbo the Elephant". It's a large tuba solo, that plays the beat of the elephant walking, but it has some sincopation and stuff in it, and you get to play basically as loud as you can. For the Song, "Come follow the Band" -(opening of the 2nd act)- It calls for a trio of musicians -- a sousaphone, trumpet, and euphonium (played by a trombone at my school). The sousaphone is on stage (To be determined by your director) and plays a somewhat hard solo about 30 measures long all alone . . . with no accompaniament. Then the trumpet joins in and finally the Euphonium . . . eventually the full pit comes in.

I had such a blast doing this show. That's the show that switched me from being a full time Euphoniumist to a Tubist. Have fun, and there are also many other songs that have a some interesting tuba pasts. I also doubled on 3rd Trombone, they had some fun parts to.

Have a blast -- email me if you have any further questions,
Dan Mordhorst

PS . . . I do have the CD, which is not in print, so if you can't get your hands on it, lemme know, and i'll see what I can do.

Follow Ups: