Re: US military music questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Tunnell on April 19, 2002 at 22:11:48:

In Reply to: US military music questions posted by Klaus on April 19, 2002 at 21:02:44:

Klaus,

I can't give exact answers to most of your questions. Here are a few comments.

Brittish brass bands are closely duplicated in the U.S. by the Salvation Army Bands. I suspect the band you are asking about is in exactly that tradition and most of your questions are answered by "whatever it takes to do it right."

The comments in the next paragraphs are really about wind bands or Blasmusik.

As you know, but most Americans do not know, European concert bands (one term used for band is Blasmusik), have a different instrumentation from American concert bands. The European use of tenorhorns and euphoniuns playing in 4 parts as opposed to the U.S. use of only one euphoniym part is only one of the differences. U.S. and European bands vary in the use of cornets, trumpets and flugelhorns as well. Eb Altos were used in the U.S. into the 1950's (at least some of the time) and some "historic" bands still use them. And don't get me started about woodwinds, especially the saxophones.

I believe that the top U.S. military bands have the instruments and personell to play the European instrumentation when they want to do so. If they want to do BRASS band, they will get that right, too. Someone else can certianly give the details

How about them details, Sean?

Max Tunnell ( who, several times a year, gets to play 1st Tenorhorn, Euphonium or Tuba with Blasmusic Texas, a band that uses German instrumentation to play European publications. It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on)

Follow Ups: