Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: diaphragm placement/bore size?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on April 19, 2002 at 10:50:22:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: diaphragm placement/bore size? posted by Brian Frederiksen on April 18, 2002 at 21:13:06:

Actually, Boyle's law states that pressure and volume are inversely proportional for an ideal gas, such that as pressure increases, volume descreases. The flow=velocityXarea relationship discusses flow rather than volume and adds the time element. But it works only for incompressible fluids like water, which is a bit closer to my civil engineering background. That's why I added the warning that it applied only when the pressures are low enough to be approximately the same as atmospheric pressure. But the pressures measured during actual play and reported by Jacobs in the articles that I have seen are indeed quite low--a fraction of atmospheric pressure.

But I have not heard the lectures to which you refer. I gathered all this from observing my own body and knowing just enough science to get me in trouble. Sometimes I think we listen to experts too much and do too little observing on our own.

Rick "who, knowing all this, still can't make a good sound" Denney

Follow Ups: