Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Same ol' question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charles D. Ortega on April 19, 2002 at 03:42:07:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Same ol' question posted by dp on April 18, 2002 at 10:48:06:

but it does land and make a decision! Not so with the committee.

Your analogy doesn't work because, you see, the committee is throwing their coin, and it lands on its edge. Not falling on heads or tails. Once...lucky happenstance. But twice?

What in the world is the deal? It is not fair to have people like the ones who made the final...any of which could play that job in their sleep and be a credit to the ensemble and a credit to our tuba community...and not choose anyone simply because he/she doesn't have the right shoes on, or they held that note out too long in Lohengrin, or their interpretation of the solo in the Gershwin was "just a bit off." Or, their horn didn't sound right in ONE of the many excerpts they had them play. There is absolutely no way anyone could go in and be all things to all the committee members. I will say this; it is going to be one Adonis of tuba that finally wins this job.

This waffling, among other things, has really begun to make me doubt that the life I have chosen is going to work out at all. Look at the problems we are having just in securing a job for a major orchestra. Doesn't Boston realize, being a premiere orchestra, they have set a precedent? Now it appears the committee for the Bumblehoop Philharmonic Jug and Kazoo orchestra is going to hold an audition for their bass Jug, and not finding "The jug to end all jugs" will instead decide to hire no one.

It seems like we, as musicians, are getting in the way of our own future.

I am sorry, I didn't mean to go off, but this situation is really upsetting, and I think we should each send a letter to the BSO telling them how bad this looks on all of us as musicians.

Well, I welcome the hot responses...

cdo

Follow Ups: