Re: Re: Re: BSO result

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard on April 18, 2002 at 21:14:49:

In Reply to: Re: Re: BSO result posted by Scott on April 18, 2002 at 11:52:15:

As a distant observer with an occasional access to insiders, I have the impression that this deadlock is being caused by the search for the PERFECT audition, one in which NOTHING goes wrong, in which there is never even the slightest inclination to hesitate, or display so much as a microscintilla of insecurity from start to finish. Our interest is focused on the tuba chair, but this seems to be a pattern at BSO, which appears to have this problem more than other orchestras. I am struck by the fact that even the two or three players that would have had an advantage because they had been extras or subs, or had been brought in for on-the-job try-outs and made highly favorable impressions, have failed to break through this barrier of, shall I coin a phrase, decisional constipation. So I don't by the fix theory, and if they wanted to wait for Levine, they could have just continued with the sub(s) until he was ready to assume the responsibility.

It just may be that even as virtuosic and highly developed as the best players are now, no one can get through an entire list, as widely varied as the specialties are, a bizarre 20 minute or more recital-demonstration of everything a tuba can do, without SOMETHING going wrong.

Follow Ups: