Re: Re: Re: Re: diaphragm placement/bore size?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on April 17, 2002 at 17:28:13:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: diaphragm placement/bore size? posted by Rick Denney on April 17, 2002 at 15:21:10:

Rick, I have to disagree profoundly!

You come out of sports, I come out of a school, which basically is vocal, even if I do not sing that beautiful myself.

That school, which my reading of Denis Wick would place even him into, most certainly strives for a high level of control over the diaphragm.

All controlled motion has a push and a brake element.

Human air motion (read push) uses the same musculature, that is used in various bodily releases: the muscles on the front of the stomach hinged on the two main vertical back muscles running on each side of the spine.

The brake factor is placed differently in various schools.

The older Central European school used the vocal chords as brake/nozzle in brass playing. In my ideology, that is an open invitation to disaster. In form of incurable throat tensions.

One of my main teachers maintained, that the embouchure was the main point of braking/resistance. When he was at his peak as a performer, he proved himself wrong. His huge sound could not have come through a tense embouchure. His latter days playing might suggest, that he, sadly, has started listening to his own advises.

In my ideology there are 4 points of interest, when it comes to braking/resistance:

The diaphragm: that is where human control can be exercised immediately.

The mouthpiece backbore: that is where human control can be exercised through reamers.

The bore through the valves: that is where human control can be exercised through the choice of instrument.

The with of the bell throat: that is another point, where human control can be exercised through the choice of instrument.

My ideas center in on a strong diaphragm, an open backbore, a large bore though the (preferably piston) valves, and a not too wide bell throat.

Of course this posting should be considered one of my far too usual off-the-main-road views. If it should have induced some rethinking of actual playing techniques, then I will have sincerely to apologize for the inconveniency.

Klaus

PS: my own choice of tuba equipment would have a tendency to prove me wrong on the "not too wide bell throat" factor. But then: Don't we all suffer a bit from schizophrenia? Tubawise at least?

Follow Ups: