Re: Re: REALLY old piggy

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on April 16, 2002 at 14:42:10:

In Reply to: Re: REALLY old piggy posted by Steve Dedman on April 15, 2002 at 23:06:05:

This piston configuration has a trumpet equivalent. The link given below does not provide the best illustration, but that is what I have available for now. I have such a trumpet myself, to the boot in its best incarnation. That is from Scherzer (B&S).

This Scherzer trumpet is good in its own right, as I am in no especial need for the short stroke derived from its push-rod set-up. On the trumpet the airpath equals any German style trumpet, but for the fact that the rotaries are not in the leadpipe, but in the 2nd branch.

What makes me slightly suspicious about the Cerveny tuba is, that it combines two of my least favourized elements in brass design:

rotary valves (not even the best rotary airpath even approaches an average piston airpath in freedom of flow and lack of obstacles)

the 90º bend right outside the rotary valve (a factor know, from top-position-pistons, which are less ideal than front action pistons).

It would take a very generous bore to overcome these drawbacks.

Of course my views are personal; one might even call them brass-political.

Klaus

Follow Ups: