Re: Anyone have one of these?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Art H on April 13, 2002 at 22:47:16:

In Reply to: Anyone have one of these? posted by Paul Scott on April 13, 2002 at 07:21:24:

I know that model well. My father bought one (used) in 1934 for $65 from Vincent Bach's brother, and played it as his main horn for 60 years. He had Luke DelNegro give it a honk before he paid for it, and Luke approved. After the war my father studied with Bill Bell for a few years, using an identical horn that Bell had in his studio. Another one was in the cover photo of Red Callender's LP ("Callender Speaks Low") along with a big Conn. Some time around 1960 the Martin company made the same model in fiberglass, but I guess they didn't sell many. What I did not like about the instrument was the placement of the pistons (too high, too far to reach) and the mouthpipe, which was too low to accomodate the removable bell. I now have my father's old Martin, and I have put a Nirshl valve set and a Beuscher upright bell on it. I played it in Carnegie Hall back in January and will be doing the Carioca on it next month with the Connecticut Symphonic Band. There are a couple of photos of the instrument on my Tuba-Logic Website.

Follow Ups: