Re: Re: Re: 51D vs. BB1

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brendan on April 13, 2002 at 14:30:02:

In Reply to: Re: Re: 51D vs. BB1 posted by Alan Herold on April 13, 2002 at 09:39:40:

I use a Doug Elliot mouthpiece now. It's an LT 4N101 I5 with european shank if you want the specifics. The rim is slightly larger in diameter than the 51D, but flatter and sharper. I had noticed that with the 51D my articulation was suffering, especially in the extremes of dynamic range. The Doug Elliot allows me to control all my articulation much more and also gives a better core to the sound. It's not as deep as the BB1, but with a Hrisbrunner euph, you don't need a huge mouthpiece to get a rich sound.

As far as how I determined that my mouthpiece was causing my problems, I was in a lesson. I was playing something and my teacher, Tim Northcut, asked me why my articulation was so inconsistent. I told him it wasn't my ear, it wasn't my tongue, it wasn't my instrument, it wasn't my concept, and it wasn't my embochure or air. So I said, "well, it has to be my mouthpiece." He agreed, so I made a list of all the parts of the mouthpiece and what I wanted in them. Then I got a Doug Elliot catalogue and ordered to my specifications. I've been using this mouthpiece for a year now and I have never been less than completely satisfied.

Follow Ups: