Re: Re: Re: Re: Valve Oil: Synthetic or Not?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Swensen on April 11, 2002 at 18:55:33:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Valve Oil: Synthetic or Not? posted by Dan Masi on April 11, 2002 at 17:16:32:

I have tried BiNaK several times over the past years, and have finally given up on it. I did have some luck using denatured alcohol as a solvent, however. Take an old Al Cass bottle and fill it with denatured alcohol. Unscrew the valve cap and put a few drops of alcohol under the cap, wetting the top part of the valve casing and valve, then replace the valve cap and work the valve a few times. It might free up the valve and get it working fast for a while.

The other thing to try is to clean off the valve (say, using alcohol on an old tee-shirt), but leave the casing alone, then replace the valve, dry. The residual BiNaK on the casing walls may be enough to lubricate the valve. When the valve gets sluggish again, repeat the process. Eventually you should have little enough oil in/on the valves to work correctly. My problem was that, as soon as the valves had little enough oil to not be sluggish, the remainder washed off with the warm, moist air flowing through the horn.

Another possible source of problem is residual oil and grease in the tubes connected to the valves. If any of this washes onto the valve/casing, the BiNaK will sludge up.

I ended up using Al Cass, to which I add 50 drops of spindle oil per bottle.

Follow Ups: