Re: Re: Re: About that tuning...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony E on April 11, 2002 at 18:08:17:

In Reply to: Re: Re: About that tuning... posted by Dan Mordhorst w/ Q? on April 11, 2002 at 16:21:47:

Dan,

I'm sure most of it is me, and with more practice...

First, I can't believe how much variance there is from mouthpiece to mouthpiece with this horn. More so than with other horns I've played. Perhaps someone on the board with knowledge could explain this. Is this due to the smaller bore?

That said, with the UMI Helleberg mouthpiece, when the main tuning slide is set for b flat to be in tune, the main tuning slide is out about 1/4". From there, all open fingerings are ok, except F just below staff, which is flat.

The fourth valve slide is out one inch. Slides for 1,2, & 3 are completely in (and need to go in further!). So set, if I play where my embrochure wants to go, 3 slightly flat, 2 is flatter yet, and 1 flatter still. However, all can easily be lipped into dead center on the meter.

So, I'm really using the tuner in practice to get my ear and my embrochure working together with the meter. It's grunt work and boring, but I don't know any other way. And, I'm listening hard at rehersal to play to the group.

Tony E

Follow Ups: