Re: MarchingBand/Real TubaPlaying--Opposites

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on April 11, 2002 at 13:44:32:

In Reply to: MarchingBand/Real TubaPlaying--Opposites posted by Collegetubaplayer on April 11, 2002 at 08:29:55:

The fellow that I (pretend to) study with plays sousaphone for a living. He's in the Air Force Band Ceremonial Brass, and outdoor marching and playing is his main gig and has been for his whole career.

Then, he puts the sousaphone down and picks up his G-50 or his 983 and plays just about as beautifully as anyone on this planet.

If marching and playing a Bb sousaphone is bad for tuba playing, then he has found a way to overcome it.

On the other hand, he also directs the community band in which I play, and I have to say that the word "short" never escapes his lips. He is always looking for the sound to include a sense of resonance, even if he wants us to "add space" between the notes.

I've heard our illustrious board owner state that playing sousaphone for a living (which he does) isn't the most satisfying musical experience one can enjoy, and I wouldn't dare disagree. But it doesn't seem to have diminished his playing skills either.

Rick "who was offered a gig playing sousaphone with a large pro football team band recently but... declined" Denney

Follow Ups: