Re: MarchingBand/Real TubaPlaying--Opposites

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joshua Cutchin on April 11, 2002 at 09:32:49:

In Reply to: MarchingBand/Real TubaPlaying--Opposites posted by Collegetubaplayer on April 11, 2002 at 08:29:55:

Don't worry too much about this. Being flexible enough to change your style quickly between two peoples' tastes is something that we all have to learn at some point. I still wrestle with it, seeing as I often have to change my style during marching band season. Each week I am forced to switch back and forth from bombastic and detatched to understated and legato. The point is to always remember to play beautifully whenever you get in the room with your teacher, and to blow your bloody head off when you're planted on the 50 yard line.
Are you using a different mouthpiece for marching band? This can help send your brain a subliminal, pre-performance "THIS IS LOUD, DETATCHED MARCHING BAND STYLE" message to help you differentiate between your two ways of playing. I use a different mouthpiece for each horn I use on solos/concert band, jazz band, and marching band. Also, it's probably a good thing that you're playing in a different key instrument - - the more differences that you can attribute to each situation, the better you'll be.
~ Josh

Follow Ups: