Re: "Walter E. Sear, New York, N.Y." Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Roger Lewis on April 11, 2002 at 07:56:47:

In Reply to: "Walter E. Sear, New York, N.Y." Tuba posted by Rick Bastedo on April 10, 2002 at 19:27:26:

I was studying with Mr. Sear at the time he began importing these particular instruments. It was during Miraphone's strong years and I believe that Walter thought that Cerveny could make an instrument that could compete with the Miraphone's but at a lower cost. These were interesting horns and there were a few from the first shipment that would be considered unique. Where the name is engraved on the bell the later ones came in with "walter e. SEAR" whereas the first shipment came in "WALTER e. sear". We called these the Walter horns and it was just an engraving mistake.

They are good instruments and I believe some of the early ones had the string linkage but the later ones went to mechanical.

Mr. Jacobs came down to visit Mr. Sear when the Chicago Symphony was in town for a concert and I demonstrated one of these instruments for him. It was the first time I got to play for Mr. Jacobs, but not the last. Talk about "nerves" - I was only 17 at the time and fresh out of high school.

Roger

Follow Ups: