Posted by Aubrey Foard on April 11, 2002 at 00:23:15:
In Reply to: About that tuning... posted by Steve Dedman on April 10, 2002 at 11:29:23:
Here's a few ideas:
1. Check to make sure the tuner is set to cents, NOT hertz.
2. Consider getting a clip to attach to your horn to eliminate other noise (most decent tuners have an input for a clip)
3. Deal with it. I've come to realize that most notes will never be in the same place from one week to the next. It depends on what you've been working on, the acoustics of the room, the temperature, how much you've practiced, etc.
4. Get a tuner which can drone chromatic notes. This is probably the best thing you can do for yourself right now.
5. Always realize what part of the chord you are playing.
6. Keep at it. Perfect intonation is a lifelong pursuit. Most people do not suddenly get tuning and then die. You'll be working at it no matter how hard you practice.