Double Buzzing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Malcore on April 10, 2002 at 23:10:57:

At the beginning of this year, my senior year in high school, I decided that I should start expanding my high range, and that has been going well. I worked up a few solos through the year, Beezlebub (quite high), and now Air and Bouree. Over the last month or so, however, I have been getting this ugly buzz at times while practicing, mostly just in the range from the Bb below the staff to Bb in the staff.

I talked to my director today, who suggested that I return some focus to the low range, and he said that should help. Tonight, I came on BBS and read up a bit in the archives on double buzzing, and my director's advice, to play low often enough to balance the high playing, was mentioned. Also, some posters said air was part of the problem, and that I should focus on getting a fuller stream of air going, with a nice open "oh" sound in my throat.

One other thing, my practicing, outside of the 45 minute band rehearsal, has been pretty erratic. In the last few months, I have only been able to get in good sessions of practice (60-90 minutes) maybe 2 times a week, as opposed to playing this much every day earlier in the year.

Are these inconsistent chunks of practicing making things worse?

Is there anything else I can do to correct my double buzzing? Or am I pretty much going to be set by following the above?

Thanks much for any help.

Dan

Follow Ups: