Re: Re: Fake Books

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MG on April 10, 2002 at 19:07:57:

In Reply to: Re: Fake Books posted by Wink wink on April 10, 2002 at 16:43:17:

I highly recommend that you NOT buy an E-flat book because the chords will also be transposed, and it's infinitely more difficult to improvise while reading transposed chords than it is to read transposed music. It will definitely serve you well as a jazz musician to be able to read concert treble clef, but I don't recommend starting there. The Real Book in bass clef is definitely the way to. It's not copyrighted, and it's full of ridiculous mistakes, but unfortunately, it's really the only book that you can expect everyone you play with to have (and you'll be expected to have it). Chances are you'll have to buy it from a smaller music store in your area. I can tell you where to get it in the Twin Cities, but I don't know about other places. It may be kept behind the counter also, so if you don't see it on the shelf, ask. Also, before you go, find someone who has one and take a look at the cover and what tunes are in it so you can make sure you get the right one. Later on, you may want to investigate some "legal" books, which are neater, more accurate, and often have some nice hard to find tunes in them. For now, get the Real Book.

Follow Ups: