Re: Can someone help me with my trouble.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on April 09, 2002 at 07:53:43:

In Reply to: Can someone help me with my trouble. posted by Chris Johnson on April 08, 2002 at 14:13:47:

I will answer your questions from the band director and the sorta kinda medical standpoint.

1. I would offer a mouthpiece to a student if they or I cleaned it before playing, if they forgot their's. If the student refused on those grounds, I would fail the student on the test, and go on with life. I don't have time or patience for those who don't accept responsibility for their actions.

2. Most of the diseases associated with transferal from one person to another through a mouthpiece are anaerobic in nature. This means that the disease does not survive once exposed to air. Those diseases that are aerobic in nature would survive the exposure on any surface, not just a mouthpiece.

3. Most of the germs that you would worry about would be killed with the use of a good mouthpiece spray.

There are situations where I have to check the pyalability of an instrument for a student. I use a spray to get the 1-in-a thousand disease makers that might be there, and to satisfy the parents and students who seem to think that anything can be transfered to anyone at anytime.

Tom Mason

Follow Ups: