Re: Re: Re: Lapping Pistons with Lava Soap

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ian Easton on April 08, 2002 at 07:57:45:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Lapping Pistons with Lava Soap posted by SousaStud on April 07, 2002 at 11:53:40:

My horn (Willson EE flat) is at least 10 years old and has a first valve that occasionally catches due to the valve tubing protruding into the casing (the lesson I learned: don't pick up your horn by the valve tubing even if it is the balance point of the horn: it isn't a convenient handle!)

I've had it seen to by a repairer, who added a brace. Lapping is a last resort for me.

The final straw was during a TV news item on a charity gig. After hours of good opperation, the valve jammed during a solo, just as the camera took a tight close-up of my fingers. Witness frantic valve pulling and alternate fingerings. Luckily it was a jazz gig, so I could improvise around the 'available' notes. Several people mentioned to me that they'd seen the item, and were embarrased for me, so I know it didn't go unnoticed!

Thanks for all the info folks: I hope to clean/lap the horn in the next couple of weeks...I'll keep you posted on the results.

Ian Easton

Follow Ups: