Re: www.tuba.com

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on April 08, 2002 at 03:13:37:

In Reply to: www.tuba.com posted by Sam Behar on April 07, 2002 at 21:28:48:

Just took another look www.tuba.com.

There seems to be at least two elements, that have changed, since I about 3 years ago was in contact with Frieder about an eventual buy of one his "first-edition" St. Petes.

Frieder was extremely helpful on the phone and advised me how I could try one of these instruments, that had been sold to a countryman of mine.

That tuba had the German valve lever/link set mounted. The rotors had been honed in Germany. The technically well versed Danish owner had done some supplementary removes of grates in the rotor casings. The result was an extremely fast and responsive valve action. My only complaint about these valves was, that they bounced back from the rubber valve stops a bit more, than I liked.

I did not buy a St. Pete. Not because of the obviously thin brass. Not because the solder work obviously was of sub-Western standards (the quality to price ratio still was very good). But because I found the leadpipe far too narrow for my way of playing (I do not like to force the airstream).

Exactly that resistance might have been, what lured teachers to buy St. Petes for their students. An obviously bad choice as the weak structure of the brass body only allows for one relevant customer segment: the very responsible and caring adult players.

The new factors of the www.tuba.com site are of my dislike (quote):

"21. March 2002 - The St. Petersburg tuba factory confirmed that new BB tubas are on the way !! - We hope that they arrive soon.  The price will be 2995 Euros including 16% VAT - (laquered or nickel plated, honed, modern machine). We will give more information as soon the instruments are here . Note: We will not ship these instruments to the US. US Customers should contact the Tuba Exchange."(end of quote).

The "modern machine" element in my eyes (that is a disclaimer) point towards a lever/link system out of the Russian factory. I would consider that a retrograde step in comparison with the very effective German "machine" told of above.

And I have a very hard time understanding why a US company should interfere with Frieder's documented good relationship with his worldwide customers.

Klaus

PS: Of course it very sad, that I as a foreigner do not own the ability to communicate with the intellectuality and the economy of word usage, that the elite of tubayouth demonstrates down this thread.

Follow Ups: