Re: Re: low register articulation

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on April 07, 2002 at 17:35:19:

In Reply to: Re: low register articulation posted by Brian Frederiksen on April 07, 2002 at 12:39:13:

Thank you Brian for posting this fine quote from your book!

The general idea of this text is true in my ears, but a far out diasphorian might have the privilege of promoting some heretic disagreements.

I do not find the trumpet being the brass instrument calling for the highest pressure as long of we talk of the standard Bb variant (piccolos are another matter).

In my experience the French horn is calling for a far higher pressure. Especially if it is played along he Farkas lines with a strong emphasis on its F side.

The French horn might be the weaker sister of the brass brotherhood, when it comes to dynamic range measured in dB. But the horn has a much wider span in colours from its mellow ppp to the glass splintering brightness of its (relative) fff. Want some cutting edge: go for loud horns.

Even within the brass-sub-field of US trombones there are widely diverging variables. Bachs tend to keep the same sound through their immense dynamic span. Kings tend to have a more hornlike variability between soft mellowness and loud "alertness". (In trombones I definitely am pro-King).

In tubas German style instruments tend to brighten up with increasing dynamics. Some well recognised tubists taking that far beyond my personal liking. Whereas old US tubas/sousas tend to keep their foundation providing abilities trough a very wide dynamic specter.

Your new head on the block: Klaus

Follow Ups: