Re: Re: Re: Re: Preparing to play in an orchestra

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tubadeer21 on April 05, 2002 at 15:27:15:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Preparing to play in an orchestra posted by yes! on April 05, 2002 at 10:28:56:

i guess it's a matter of semantics. i think we all have a different definition of "making it." i know in the context of this thread, "making it" refers to THE gig, the one or two big jobs that open every year... I have a TON of respect for all those out there trying for this goal, I applaud and commend you; however, I have to say not everyone has this same goal. In reading most of the thread (yes, the title is self-explanatory), i see how one could easily be disillusioned by the whole "music business" as we perceive it.

My personal goal, however, is to teach, preferably, believe it or not, at a smaller college or university, where hopefully I can make a difference to some kids who may never experience the "big studio" tuba life. In a roundabout way, I guess I am trying to say that if I "practice and work hard, shunning all distractions" I WILL make it -- in my own sense. And incidentally, although I am not a member of one of the "GREAT" studios, I have been taught the above principal, and feel I am just as lucky to have a teacher based in reality. I want to be like this.

My idea of making it is being the best damn tuba player and teacher I can possibly be, and if no one ever knows who I am, oh well, at least my students will. I have to do the same work as one going for a "Big" job. The ending goal is different, but the method to achieve the goal is the same. Maybe we all have more in common than we realize despite differing hopes for the future.

With regards to the original BSO topic, I think I am trying to say I believe there is more to life than going from "big" to "bigger." These guys will all go on being as successful as they already are regardless of the outcome of this audition, or any other. Maybe more of us in this tuba community as a whole need to think this way.

Took a little tangent that probably makes no sense there... been locked in a practice room all morning and needed to vent!

Follow Ups: