Re: Re: Re: Re: Boston Symphony questions...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by dp on April 04, 2002 at 23:56:44:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Boston Symphony questions... posted by Barry Guerrero on April 04, 2002 at 15:09:15:

Yes I agree Barry, it IS unfortunate to go to all that trouble and expense and later learn there may have been something else going on. Sort of like playing a table in Vegas, and then hear the house may not be on the up and up. But one knows (or should) that auditions are part luck and gamble as well as skill. The thing about luck is its unpredictable, and the think about gambling is (apart from "dumb luck") you have to know the odds in order to win, and in order to win you have to predict certain outcomes, and even then its not a sure thing!! In this mix there's unfortunately little an aspiring tubist (like a gambler in Vegas) has control over. I just hope our mate got to see some of Boston and the surrounding part of the country while he was out here.

And you're also right, no one needs (of all people) me to point out that things ARE what they ARE. I bad. Perish the thought, but dammit isn't there room in the world anymore to say "just suck it up guys???" I certainly wouldn't want to minimize the "victims of soicumstance" (to take from that famous American Curley Howard) who doubtless played their asses off and then, instead of acknowledging that on THIS day they didn't impress the committee enough to win, need to publicly focus on some phrase like "the guy we really wanted didn't show." Public whining like that don't motivate selection committees to do ANY favors for future candidates, ya think? Damned if they do and damned if they don't, wouldn't surprise me a bit if they waited for the new director to come in before making an appointment, but no one needs ME to point that out.

Follow Ups: