Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Preparing to play in an orchestra

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by While you're... on April 04, 2002 at 23:31:45:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Preparing to play in an orchestra posted by jrod on April 04, 2002 at 22:20:00:

while you're writing about not winning a job... someone is practicing excerpts
while you're reading all these postings about tuba...someone is practicing excerpts
while some of you gain so much concern about who is who, who is playing where, who is playing what, and you're doing whatever... someone is practicing excerpts
while some of us work our full-time jobs that have nothing to do with music, yet we have multiple degrees in music... someone is practicing excerpts
while some of us are in class learning about Bach's oratorios, and in depth harmonic and themeatic analysis of Schubert's songs... someone is practicing excerpts
while I'm typing this stuff... someone is practicing excerpts...!

I believe that it takes a child prodigy, or someone who has no other responsabilities to actually have a realistic chance at winning a major audition, I could be wrong.
But, these days, tuba auditions are becoming extrodinarily competative, and it seemslogical to me that one has to be extremely consistant to be able to play any given excerpt at any given time with no warm-up(ex. wake up all of a sudden around 3am, and pick up your 5/4 or 6/4 and really nail Pines of Rome)to be ready for these auditions.
well, now I should get back on my horn... ... ...and randomly set my alarm

Follow Ups: