Re: Plans for tuba stand?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Philip Jensen on April 03, 2002 at 16:05:17:

In Reply to: Plans for tuba stand? posted by Chuck(G) on April 03, 2002 at 14:13:27:

I'm thinking of building one myself, so I can't say how well they would work. I've been thinking about something along the lines of a short artist's easel (tripod) with some sort of craddle for the bottom and some type of arm to prevent side to side movement. Maybe something portable.

Your post has me thinking fancier now. How about a wedge or half pyramid? You could make a giant hollow wedge with some sort of craddle at the bottom and then a stategically placed dowel(s) (good sized one) at the top to keep it from tipping off the stand. A door could be installed in the back (or side) for storage, maybe a shelf with mouthpiece shank sized holes for your mpc collection. More interesting would be a half pyramid, by this I mean take a cube and rather than cut it in half perpendicularly (giving you the wedge option - 3 square faces -front, back, bottom- , and 2 triangular sides), cut it diagonally so the top is a point (4 triangular sides, none square). Add a craddle and a dowel up at/near the point. Make one side a door again. Then you can get fancy and make some kind of decorative base frame for it to raise if off the floor a bit. Also various trim here and there. How about raised panel sides/doors? Make both sides doors for easier access.

Hope this helps.

Hmmm, I've got some walnut lying around maybe I should get to work. Any opinions on what color wood/stain will best match a silver tuba

Philip

Follow Ups: