Re: Audition Pieces?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elliot on April 02, 2002 at 15:34:18:

In Reply to: Audition Pieces? posted by Jonathan on April 02, 2002 at 13:52:33:

Well I'm gonna be a freshman next year, so I'm just coming out of that process. I did something that worked well for me, but I got a few reactions from teachers who weren't all that pleased with my choice of reperatoire. I decided to play pieces that other guys wouldn't play, in order to stand out (which worked, i got into my three top choice schools). I played the first two movements of the beversdorf (though I was rarely asked for the second). It's a modern jumpy sonata that's really fun to play, really show-offy, and does not involve sitting in your high range for days. not althe professors agreed that it was such a great piece. Rex Martin asked me If i "honestly like the piece" and Toby Hanks told me that the was proabbly a reason know one knows of any recordings of it, but i personally really enjoyed it, and I guess that's what matters. For a simple baroque piece I played a movement of a winston Morris transcription of handel's sonota #6. and a bordogni of course.
Pick something that works well for you, and maybe a piece that the teachers doen't hear too often, but MOST IMPORTNATLY play something you enjoy and can be really musical on.

Follow Ups: