ITEC's and other things (long)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dennis AsKew on April 01, 2002 at 12:57:02:

Greetings all!

There's been quite a bit of discussion of late regarding conferences, ITEA, etc. I understand many folks have a problem with ITEA. I'm not going there, however just a few words regarding ITEC's and other conferences. (just for everyone's understanding, ITEC=International Tuba/Euphonium Conference)

(the following is my take on things, not stated as any official position, except mine) (I'll probably use "it seems" a lot--that's my way of saying--"my opinion")
ITEA (TUBA) was formed as an official group in order to advance the instruments. Along the way it was decided that having a gathering of the members to perform for each other, share ideas, etc. should take place--thus, ITEC.
As the organization began having ITEC's many moons ago, they were held in the US. Typically hosted on a college campus. These tended to explore different aspects of euphonium and tuba performance, typically with many premieres. These premieres of new works were designed to show what was possible on these instruments, (in an effort to bring a greater amount of visibility, respect, etc.) with a result that they were only playable by the top performers. Very often, it seems, most conference attendees walked away from these performances going "that was great, but I'll never be able to do that...." Also, most of these conferences, it seems, had attendance by some amateurs, but not many. Mostly college teachers and their students.
Until 1995, ITEC's were held every 3 years. (with the exception of 1990, which was held in Japan, and due to scheduling problems, it was in 1990, not 1989) Following the 1995 conference (at Northwestern) ITEC's began happening every year. 1996 was with ITG, and sort of a full brass conference happened in CA. 1997 in Italy, 1998, Minneapolis, not one in 1999, 2000 in Canada, 2001, Finland and now 2002 in NC. After being on this yearly schedule for a while, it was decided that we probably were tapping out resources, (audiences, places, vendors, etc.) and that we should try every other year. So, the next one will be in 2004. It's still not known where that will take place (that announcement typically comes 2 years in advance--which means we'll know probably during ITEC 2002)

One of the things that has been problematic with the organization and with ITEC's is that it's all done on a shoestring budget. Certainly, Bart and I as hosts get no pay, he doesn't get leave from his job to do this, nor do I. My school is giving no real assistance. The costs for housing, meal plan etc. are exactly what we get charged. We pay rent on the buildings for the week, pay for the orchestra, the Army Band (nope, no tax dollars paying for them to appear) pay for the accompanists, provide prizes (and negotiate as many as we can from the industry--see above on tapping them out). Our webmaster is the father of one of my students. Pay? none. Pay for performers? none. Still, we have a budget over $150,000. Covering that cost comes from a few grants, if we're lucky, fees for displays, and registrations.

So then, why are we hosting? Well, as I have gotten to know the amateur players in the area (Bart being one of the more vocal of them) I began to realize that ITEC's didn't offer much for the amateur. Most tuba/euph conferences didn't. I approached Bart about co-hosting. (first time an amateur has been involved at this level) He keeps me in check with making sure how the schedule runs, making sure as much is offered with the amateur in mind, etc. (and we've asked all those giving solo recitals to please include at least one "accessible" work) We've worked hard to offer lectures and clinics of interest to everyone. (for the first time actually solicitng proposals) We have a committee (a steering committee, if you will) which includes myself, Bart, 3 grad students, 4 local amateurs, and non-tuba/euph person who has hosted other area conferences. We meet twice a month as a group and then leave with "jobs" to do before the next meeting.

As I have read over this, it comes across as a defense. Maybe it is. Bottom line, we've worked hard to make this happen, not for ITEA, not for the anti-ITEA, but for the tuba or euphonium player, pro, amateur, student, whatever, who enjoys listening to and learning more about these instruments. If you choose to attend, great, and thank you. If you cannot, or choose not to for whatever reason, I'm sorry we won't have the opportunity to meet.

all best,

D.AsKew

Follow Ups: