Re: Re: Re: Walter Nirschl Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by presently in Boulder on May 01, 2001 at 11:02:35:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Walter Nirschl Tubas posted by Richard on April 30, 2001 at 22:32:37:

background info: it was about two years ago when I got my Holton, a few months prior the seller had play-tested and selected at the factory a nirschl york that was every bit what Karl described. When he actually took delivery, Nirschl had shipped a different horn and the "replacement" was (from all descriptions) an inferior instrument. He returned the instrument, but had difficulty in resolving the monetary part with Walter. My friend eventually got his money back, but he had to sell his superior Holton (to me) to hire a German lawyer to leverage the builder into returning the horn and legal costs.

my opinion: it appears that consistency of the Nirschl Yorks between horns is no better than any other makes, although (just like with other 6/4 makes) the people who have good ones really swear by them. I would NOT advise buying one unless you play test and select THE instrument you want, and (frankly) if I was play-testing at "that" factory I would take personal delivery at the factory of THE specific instrument when it was finished. The VAT is nothing compared to winding up with a bowser, and (for me) it only takes ONE bad deal to hose a dealer's credibility.

harsh I know, but the truth f.w.i.w.

dp

Follow Ups: