Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TUBA journal-YAWN!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by disagree again, well, not with everything on April 30, 2001 at 14:16:40:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: TUBA journal-YAWN! posted by Steve Dedman on April 29, 2001 at 13:42:42:

ok
i see your point
I think many tubists are quick to judge rep. that they don't like, or don't initially like or don't have the patience to try to like as BAD. Composers of these works take so much time and careful consideration in writing and it is just nonsense to discredit their art. Tubists need to learn how to play solos right, bottom line. Ok, we listen to bobo, pokorny, self, etc. We know how to play the penderecki, kraft, vaughan williams, etc. But how about approaching a piece you can't hear before you play it. Well, you should listen to other works by the composer, other works by his contemporaries, other works performed on other solo instruments. This is an art people, not a sport. You can't just keep doing it and doing it and expect that one day the Persichetti Serenade (for example) is just going to pop out and be gorgeous. You have to invest in your art (more than just learning the notes, more than even doing simple stylistical things.) We need to strive for more, we need to strive for a cellist or a violinist in our audiences to love the tuba solo and the sound of the horn. I've heard enough poorly performed hindemith sonatas to know that many (not all) tubists only THINK they know how to play a solo.

Follow Ups: