3 Valve Vs. 4 Valve

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on April 27, 2001 at 08:21:01:

I was reading through some older postings and what not and start to think about what is better for students to buy as there first horn. If we read some of the tuba buying guides, they almost always recommend for a student to buy a four valve as their own instrument. I certainly know the advantages of the four valve system over the three, but I got to thinking on what we can teach better because of the shortcomings on a three valve horn. First off, if we can get a student to understand how to tune a horn with comprimising slide placement for most notes and then maybe pulling for B natural, this would help students develop a better ear and better embouchure flexibility and strength. Now the most important thing: false tones. Because we have to utilize false tones to extend to pedal BBb, I feel that when a student moves to a four valve horn the low register will be better solidified. Sidebar: When I was putting in 4 hours a day before 6-8 hours of rehearsals, I found that really focusing the false tones and getting them to project made the "real" fingerings sound unbelievably good. Even now with five valves at my disposal, I still play D 1&3 (on a CC) on any tuba I play. Students I have started on three valve horn have not been behind those who start on four valve horns in the long run. So what do you guys think is better to start kids on?
Matt G

Follow Ups: