Re: ITEC or Falcone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by a fellow participant on April 27, 2001 at 07:14:08:

In Reply to: ITEC or Falcone posted by Chase Garner on April 27, 2001 at 06:58:58:

I had noticed that you were the only participant in both events. Why in the world did ITEC and Falcone not work out these dates? How ridiculous that both events are held the same week. On paper, at least, it appears that Falcone has suffered the most from this date conflict in the number of participants (only 4 versus twice as many in recent years) in your category. Of course that could influence your decision, to be one of 4 versus one of 9 in Finland (better chances of "winning" in Michigan?). It is also hard to know the level of competition in Finland since all applicants were invited to the live rounds(however I have a feeling that the competition will be plenty stiff over there).

If it is a matter of money alone, go to Michigan. Given your young age, I would imagine that a parent would need or want to go with you to Finland, and that pushes the total cost over $3,000. If money is not the issue, however, I think ITEC would be the richer experience - there is so much more going on in terms of master classes, recitals, concerts, etc, and more of the top tubists in the world will be in Finland than at Falcone.

Finally, Falcone is more of a "euphonium" event, and ITEC is more of a "tuba" event - this is a broad generalization and the difference to a participant may by negligible, and therefore of course, open to dispute, but again if such a minor detail matters to you, so be it.

My guess is that the money issue will be the deciding factor, especially if you live near Michigan.

Good luck - let us know what you decide to do.

Follow Ups: