Re: Ceveney 691 vs. 601

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Greg Crider on April 24, 2001 at 08:31:07:

In Reply to: Ceveney 691 vs. 601 posted by Please answer on April 24, 2001 at 06:33:45:

I just bought a used 601 CC from Baltimore Brass (dealing with Dave Fedderly was a thoroughly pleasant and enlightening experience, by the way) and found that it's a big horn, but a very easy horn to play. It's not physically big enough to be hard to handle even though it's pretty heavy, and it plays and sounds great. It has a deep tone, but the tone still has enough brightness to cut through. Intonation is good, the valves are quick and not exceptionally noisy, and the overall workmanship is excellent. I had been looking for a BAT for a while, and the 601 is a good choice.

Some players insist that 6/4 horns are difficult to play with small groups or at a lower volume level, but this horn responds just fine at moderate volume. With a Dillon Geib 3 mouthpiece (Fedderly's recommendation), the sound is tight and centered.

I like a horn that is easy to lip up and down into pitch, and this horn is pretty flexible. If you're a slide-puller, the first valve slide in in the front, but the third and fourth valve slides are in the back. The previous owner installed slide stops on the first and second valve slides and installed a top lever for the second valve slide, and they work beautifully.

Follow Ups: