Re: Re: Re: Why C Tubas?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve C on April 23, 2001 at 22:09:11:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Why C Tubas? posted by Tim C on April 23, 2001 at 21:20:13:

I think these both to be correct.
CC tend to be easier in orchestras (which I have heard over and over, and now learning why) because orchestra music is more often written in sharp keys. Fingerings of difficult passages in these keys feel easier on a CC. I also feel the lighter sound of a CC helps the foundation of the brass section, and blend better to the string basses
A BBb on the other hand tends to lend itself to band music, mostly written in flat keys. This gives it the same advantages in bands as a CC in orchestras. Fingering patterns TEND to be easier (I have played a couple things on BBb and CC that laid better on CC, and others on BBb) and intonation with the ensemble is generally easier (ei, I hate the Db above low C...it is a pain in the butt on my CC to get in tune).
The BBb tuba does tend to have a darker sound than the CC (I know a trumpet player [yes I said trumpet, so sue me] who prefers his Bb over his C because of the darker sound compared to its C counterpart), and I wish I had a BBb for some work (mostly band stuff) where I feel that it fits better, as Tim mentioned.
for an amature player, find yourself a good BBb and be happy. If you're looking into going to music school, find a good CC, learn it and be happy (like me)
Steve C

Follow Ups: