Re: Re: Re: About different cultures

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on April 23, 2001 at 14:07:00:

In Reply to: Re: Re: About different cultures posted by Lew on April 23, 2001 at 10:10:41:

I would agree that up until now, what you say has been true. And it may continue that way for a while. But (putting on my special Karnak hat and grabbing the envelope) I think that we are on the verge of seeing a departure from those standards. When I went to school 20 years ago, you played BBb in primary school, CC and F in college, then you won a job. Even when I was in college, the Eb option was already becoming more widespread. I'm hearing more often from players that are not switching from BBb to CC tuba. With the digital age, we are communicating much better within the tuba community with players of very diverse backgrounds. All this information initiates new ideas and approaches and I think we'll see more and more that players are selecting equipment that best suits their situation rather than choosing equipment that is traditional in a given region. I'm even seeing this in my college students. Just look at the ever increasing number of tubists who are learning and using cimbassos. I'm very curious to see what happens over the next few years with our performance practices.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: