Re: The Cost of Tution, OUCH!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doing it now on April 20, 2001 at 13:34:14:

In Reply to: The Cost of Tution, OUCH! posted by Broke One on April 20, 2001 at 11:56:09:

My daughter is attending Cornell in the fall as an art major. No scholarship money has been offered, although other schools have offered as much as $10,000 per year. She could have attended a State school for 4 years for about the same as one year at Cornell, which is what she would be doing if I couldn't afford Cornell. The bottom line was that I wanted to send her to whatever school she believed that she would be most comfortable attending. I have been saving aggressively for her college education for 18 years to give her that option.

There are many other schools out there at which she could get every bit as good an education for significantly less money. If going to an Ivy League school would have put her and/or us in debt for over $100,000 I would have to say that it wouldn't be worth it. Even as it is, she could go to Cornell and have non savings left at the end of 4 years, or go to a State school and have close to $100,00 to put in her pocket after 4 years. It was her choice to go to Cornell.

We all make choices in life. What you spend on a college education is one of those choices. I do believe that 5 years after you get out of college noboby cares where you went to school. All they care about is what you can do or have done. I think that $100,000 in my pocket is worth more than what name is on my degree. My daughter has decided differently.

As a musician, all that will matter is what you learn and how you demonstrate that in your chosen form of expression.

Follow Ups: